to the Mailing List
What's New at IP3:
FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps led the FCC forum
held on Georgia Tech campus on Dec. 1, 2011.
Joseph Torres: "Race and the American Media"
Co-author of News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media , and
Senior Adviser for Government and External Affairs, Free Press, Washington DC
Thursday, December 1, 11am - 12pm (with discussion continuing to 12:30).
School of Public Policy, DM Smith Building, Room 108 (map) (parking)
Joseph Torres advocates in Washington to ensure that our nations media and telecommunications policies serve the public interest. He also works to build new coalitions to broaden the base of the media reform movement. Joseph is the co-author of the New York Times best-selling book News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media , which examines the history of people of color in the mass media. Joseph also serves on the board of directors of the Center for Media Justice and the National Association of Latino Independent Producers. Before joining Free Press, Joseph worked as deputy director of communications and media policy at the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and was a journalist for several years.
In addition, Mr. Torres will speak at the following public event:
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Panel:
"Information Needs of Atlanta"
With FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps
When: Thursday, Dec. 1, at 5 p.m.
Where: Georgia Tech Research Institute Auditorium, 250 14th St. NW, Atlanta (map)
[This FCC event has not been organized by the Georgia Tech School of Public Policy]
Full roster of panelists:
- FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps
- Eric Celeste, Editor-in-Chief, Alternative Weekly Creative Loafing
- Sage Crump, Art is Change, Black Voices for Internet Freedom
- Heather Gray, President of Radio Free Georgia Broadcasting Foundation WRFG
- Mo Ivory, Director political and community outreach, CBS Radio
- Hank Klibanoff, former managing editor at AJC, Journalism professor at Emory University
- Shawn McIntosh, Public Editor for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Denene Millner, former political reporter, creator of the blog Mybrownbaby.com
- Ed Price, Research Director-Interactive Media Technology Center at Georgia Tech
- Joe Torres, Author-News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media
John Weatherford, COO Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Background Document: FCC Report, "Information Needs of Communities"
For more information contact: email@example.com